Monday, April 15, 2013

Death, Taxes and Electricity....Going Solar with Aquaponics

Most modern Aquaponics designs rely on electricity for things like water pumps, air pumps, artificial lights and even heaters. Like death and taxes, this is a given.

Is it worth it?

Having a continual supply of greens during the winter means an extra $8 per month on my electric bill. Taking a small step toward becoming "food independent" means being less energy dependent on gasoline to get to the grocery store to buy produce. It in the winter, it felt like taking two steps forward, and one step back. But I am able to grow vegetables with a higher nutrient density than "organic" ones I'd buy at the supermarket, and with the piece of mind that it hasn't been sprayed with any insecticide or chemicals.

Now that spring is finally here, I'm getting ready to move up to a bigger system for more yield. One of my favorite things about gardening is that it's scalable, meaning you can garden with whatever space you have available. If you have a square foot, you can grow something edible on a desktop, as with my $50 mini-Aquaponics system.

One of my goals is to create a system that has the potential to grow fish to market (plate) size and more growing space for bigger yield, using the same low wattage water pumps I have, without requiring any additional power to operate. Using a 275 gallon Intermediate Bulk Container, or "IBC", I'll be able to transform this:



into something like this:


Besides having increased food production, I love the simplicity of design and availability of materials. It requires few tools to make and grants easy access to both plants and fish.

Next month, I'll be putting my current systems outside and no longer relying on artificial lights, which will save a little money. But I'll still need electricity to keep the air and water pumps going.

Solar powered units are an alternative, and are becoming an affordable option for do-it-yourselfers.
For a couple hundred dollars, you can buy a panel and necessary equipment to power your Aquaponic electrical needs. Of course, a benefit of having a solar panel is that it can power lots of other stuff too. Luckily, I've got the perfect place for a panel on the South side my house, so I've been searching for one that would power both my hot water heater and my Aquaponic pumps. I'd save about 40% off my overall electrical bill with a solar powered water heater alone.

But isn't solar power complicated?

Not necessarily. With anything, there is a learning curve. I admit, I'm at the beginning of that uphill curve. But becoming more sustainable means learning new skills to embrace a necessary lifestyle change. Taking steps to improving our future means having just a little foresight. Like education, you must first invest in yourself.

I found this Youtube video which shows how to create a solar powered IBC Aquaponic system. Enjoy!




 

No comments: