Monday, March 10, 2014

Aquaponics System For Sale or Trade

Recently, I've acquired and set up a couple of new fish tanks to convert into Aquaponics systems. Space in my house is getting pretty tight, however, so I have decided to sell one of my homemade "T Barrel" Aquaponics systems (the one on the right in the picture above).

I built these last year with 55 gallon water storage barrels, pvc plumbing, a small submersible water pump, and fluorescent overhead lighting. They have produced well indoors.

The top barrel holds the grow bed media (lightweight expanded shale) and pvc plumbing for the automatic bell siphon in the center, which periodically drains the grow bed. A small submersible water pump located in the bottom barrel provides aeration for fish in the bottom barrel, and plants in the top barrel. I run the pump on a constant flood and drain cycle to automatically flush every 12-15 minutes. When the grow bed is completely drained, the bottom tank holds about 30 gallons of water. 

I primarily used goldfish in this system to grow cool weather vegetables indoors throughout the year (parsley, spinach, lettuce, etc).

Aquaponic parsley
This system would be suitable both inside a house or apartment, or outdoors in the summer. It could also be used in a greenhouse, a sunroom, or even on a deck. As you can see, it's got a small footprint, and fits nicely below a window.

I am selling it for $200 with two light ballasts and bulbs, or $150 without them. I would also trade for a small towable camper or a utility trailer. The buyer will have to pick it up.You can email me at: crowther802@gmail.com with any questions. Thanks! Check back for upcoming posts about my new system designs.

*May 22 edit: SOLD!

No comments: