Thursday, May 22, 2014

You don't always get what you pay for; sometimes you get more.

I found another free fishtank! Out with the old...
My first Aquaponics system is gone.
In with the new:

29 gallon fishtank, next to 10 gallon fishtank (on left) 
I sold one of my barrelponics systems to Tim Stone, a coworker at Landmark College, to make space for a new system. Another coworker, Jim Lovering, was giving away his 29 gallon tank with accessories. Thanks, guys! The dimensions fit the space well. I made the stand about twenty years ago and was only using it for books. Now it works both as a stand and storage.

I'm planning to set up a Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) system with the new tank. NFT is popular with Hydroponics (which is fish-less) but is also used in Aquaponics.

Since I already have Media Filled Grow Bed (MFG) with my other barrelponics system, and Deep Water Culture (DWC) with my 10 gallon mini-system, I figured it was time to experiment with NFT and have one of each design.

Alphabet soup? What's the difference between NFT, MFG and DWC? Japan Aquaponics explains the three designs in more detail with photos.

I already have a custom support piece to support the PVC tubing for the new system. This will go width-wise across the top of the tank. Actually, I didn't even have to make it. The previous owner of my other 29 gallon fishtank gave it away with accessories as he had converted that tank into an Aquaponics system.
support piece for PVC tubing
When finished, the system will look something like this:
NFT system at Kalakaua Middle School, Hawaii
Stay tuned!

No comments: