Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner, Unless Baby is Mint

Unfortunately, what came to mind for this blog title was from a cheesy '80s movie. Planting mint in my Aquaponics system was like Dirty Dancing. I knew that if given a chance, it could thrive like Frances "Baby" Houseman.

I planted a little shoot of mint, anyway, and strategically placed it in the corner of the growbed where I thought I could control it.
baby apple mint
It grew quickly and made lots of new shoots and leaves. I picked them for tea and cooking. My wife even used it to marinate a leg of lamb.

I decided to cut it all back before going on vacation. This gave it a chance to develop runners, much like a lilac or strawberry. Beneath the rocks, it crept along.
mint runner
notice the root growth on the runner
I've cut it back and transplanted it into other systems and pots, but have to control its growth below the surface or it could easily take over. Maybe planting mint is a losing battle and just a matter of time before I have to remove it altogether?

Check out Affnan's experience with mint in Malaysia.

No comments: