Friday, February 20, 2015

Beer & Aquaponics

Beer and Aquaponics go together like peanut butter and jelly.

After all, plants thrive on CO2 - good ol' carbon dioxide. It's the same gas produced by fermentation. When you make beer, it usually takes about a week to ferment. During that time, the beer creates a lot of CO2 - much more than if you were to talk to your plants.

My indoor Aquaponics system is in a small office where there's often something brewing alongside the plants and fish. Either I'm fermenting beer or wine, or my wife is making pickles, sauerkraut, or kimchi. It's a smelly room.

Last night, I brewed a small five gallon batch of beer - a hoppy light-bodied I.P.A. (Indian Pale Ale). Fermentation started this morning, after about twelve hours in the carboy. The beer is already off to a good start!
beer fermenting in the dark under my desk
The plants love it, and it sure smells great!
(pictured Left to Right) Strawberries, Rosemary and Sorrel

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd be glad to take a 22oz off your hands.