Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Moving Plants

Since I harvested the Tatsoi, I removed the overhead fluorescent light ballast. Now all my plants are receiving only indirect natural light through the window and really bending toward the light. There's only a few plants in the system left.
Spearmint front Left, Sorrel middle Left, Rosemary far Left, Apple Mint far Right
I transplanted this wild spearmint a couple of weeks ago into my Aquaponics system. It has kept its color and its roots have quickly grown. I moved it closer to the window and put it into a corner of the growbed.
I thought I'd face it pointing away from the window to see how long it would take to turn itself around.
When a plant grows toward the light, the observable effect is called phototropism. Positive phototropism is what happens when it grows toward the light. Negative phototropism is when it grows away from the light. I haven't seen negative phototropism with any of my other indoor plants.

Here it is the next day.

Here it is two days later. Pretty cool, huh?
 Like the other low-light herbs I'm growing, it looks like Spearmint is acclimating just fine.

No comments: